Successes & Challenges
Martin King 2/26/2015I'm meeting some of our big hitters today and I expect the conversations to be framed in terms of challenges and successes. It's a great opportunity to step back for a few moments and think about the some of the work of the E-Learning Team. So here are a couple of themes that I've been thinking about.
Online submission, marking and feedback of work; originality checking and speedy, legible, feedback!
- over 55 k submissions last year
- and over 20% marked online
2.2 e Make inspired use of learning technologies and e-resources;
6.4 b Raise awareness of the environmental impact of all our activities including transport)
- achievements are against a backdrop of established paper-based processes
- adoption is well under-way - adaptation is beginning to gather pace
- IT skills and wills of staff still a historical and ongoing issue
- delivering support, training, and advice AND providing safety nets at different heights
Technology Enhanced Learning affects the whole institution - students, academic staff, administrators, support staff. We work with a diverse group of people on a wide range of projects, problems and ideas.
In the last fortnight we've:
- Supported and advised a large department as they move to adopt online marking and feedback through Moodle
- The Careers service in their development of a college-wide, yet targeted, multi-media online resource
- Worked with a group of Business Information PG students as a sponsor of their project into 'Improving and commercialising E-Portfolio Systems'
- Provided consultancy, hardware, and external expertise in the use of Personal Voting Systems to monitor lecture attendance and to provide live in-class testing
- Designed, developed a system to use QR codes for easy, yet discrete and secure, identification of ESO students whilst marking online
- Brought in a trial of smart phone software to support classroom interactivity - voting, answering questions
- Sustaining and improving the services we support
- Developing, maintaining and sharing high levels of expertise
- Responding effectively and in a timely manner to increasingly sophisticated, ambitious, and informed requests